ELSE Volunteer Fellowship in Nepal
Full time position, all expenses covered
October to November 2015
Emerging Leaders for Solar Energy (ELSE) is looking for a passionate volunteer with technical renewable energy knowledge to work with our partner SunFarmer for two months in Nepal to develop an online training portal. SunFarmer is a non-profit organization that provides solar energy systems for health clinics, schools, and irrigation projects in developing countries. SunFarmer plans to provide solar electricity to Nepalese residents by constructing 4,000 projects over the next five years and can use your help to make it happen!
We are seeking a volunteer to work full-time with SunFarmer on its development operations for a period of two months spanning October-November 2015. ELSE will cover the successful applicant’s general expenses including flights, medical insurance, lodging and meals during the work period. Work-related travel costs within Nepal will be covered by SunFarmer.
Lack of solar technology knowledge is a major issue in places like Nepal where training opportunities and access to information/expertise are very limited. SunFarmer incorporates this into its model as it partners with local installation companies on every project and SunFarmer engineers work with them to ensure that their extensive quality and safety standards are met. In order to expand this impact, SunFarmer is creating a solar training portal for the development of global solar projects. The portal will include free, open source reference and training materials, as well as Q&A message boards where experienced engineers can answer questions and provide advice.
The volunteer will spend two months in Nepal developing an understanding of local training needs, finding and sharing relevant and useful materials, and onboarding local energy companies. SunFarmer is connected to many solar companies/non-profits across Asia and Africa and this training portal could be very useful for other groups as well. The volunteer will help recruit expert volunteers to help answer technical questions, and act as a forum moderator (this responsibility can continue beyond the two month period, if interested). The volunteer may also assist directly with SunFarmer’s solar project developments, as required.
The volunteer will be expected to blog during their time in Nepal and give a short presentation on their experience and lessons learned at the CanSIA Solar Canada conference December 7-8, 2015.
Qualifications and requirements:
- Completion of a Bachelor’s degree (engineering or related technical field preferred)
- Willing to commit 2 months working full-time out of SunFarmer’s Nepal office in Kathmandu, as well as on one or more project sites in Nepal
- Strong research skills and proficient with MS Office
- Good communicator and public speaker
- Have valid passport to travel internationally
- Willing to have all travel inoculations
- Willing to sign a liability waiver
- Between the ages of 20-35
- Experience working across cultures, particularly in developing regions
- 1-2 years’ experience with renewable energy or mechanical/electrical systems
- Have an entrepreneurial spirit and the ability to quickly learn new concepts
Passion! Our team is driven by a passion for the work we do, and we are looking for someone who is as excited about solar energy as we are.
Please email the following documents to firstname.lastname@example.org by August 24th with the subject line “SunFarmer Volunteer Fellowship” (also feel free to ask any questions):
- a 1-2 page resume outlining your relevant experience
- a cover letter explaining why you are interested in and suitable for this opportunity (in 600 words or less)
We are eager to find the volunteer who can add the most value and will be interviewing finalists for the position. This is an exciting opportunity to work with a dynamic and impactful organization while providing a significant benefit to developing communities and gaining valuable renewable energy project development experience in an international environment. We look forward to hearing from you!